[NSRCA-discussion] OS 120AX header?

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 22 16:55:23 AKDT 2007

What size prop are you running and fuel mix? I felt that more RPM's or
running leaner (more heat) would produce more exhaust gas volume thus more
back pressure and probably be better. I am running a 16-10 APC on 10 or 15%
nitro, cool enough that the discharged oil is the same color as the fuel. I
purchased the first engine 8-03 and the second 4-05. The carburetors were
different (see attached photo). The one on the left is from the first
engine. The idle mixture (tapered needle) didn't completely withdraw from
the fuel delivery tube and the barrel had a small hole through the side like
the parts drawing on page 42 of the manual. The second one didn't have this
hole. I felt that when the barrel pulled out at full throttle without fully
withdrawing the idle mixture needle presented a second fuel restriction, a
condition I have seen in the past. When inquiring as to which carb was
correct (revision or Mfg error?) from the service center I got the expected
response. They either didn't know or were not about to explain the
difference to me after all I am a small fish on their pond and have never
read anything about a revision.
Which carb do you have?
Jim Hiller