[NSRCA-discussion] (no subject)

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Oct 14 09:33:10 AKDT 2007

Ahaaaa ! .................for the first time in all these years I understand the reasoning of my good friend Ron Lockhart with his swimming pool analogy, but,........there's a fly in the ointment !!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone, maybe Nat, mentioned that air is a fluid. I agree !  Moving air is a CURRENT !  In order for the swimming pool analogy to equate to our situation of flying in a crosswind, the pool would need to be converted into a hot tub with jets located all down one side and exhaust outlets on the other side so that a cross CURRENT could be established (same as the crossing CURRENT we're flying in ) whereupon the swimmer would then be pushed to the exhaust side of the pool. He would certainly feel the force of the current exerting a deleterious effect on his intended swimming direction and would have to compensate and if he was in a boat with a rudder (with forward propulsion) he would aquavane vectorially due to the combined effect of the CURRENT and the forward propulsion. It will not make any difference whether you pick the pool up and move it sideways, fore or aft, turn it around, raise it, or lower it as long as the AC doesn't go out. :>)
Who else,...me