[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane or Crab

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Oct 14 09:07:50 AKDT 2007

Marty,
The problem I have with the "unconcious control input" theory is, ....there
are hundreds of "Sport" flyers in all 3 of the local clubs that I belong to
that subscribe to the idea that the rudder is meant to be used only when the
plane is on the ground. One of the guys at my #1 field places his thumb
against the base of the throttle stick as soon as the plane is safely in the
air and the throttle and rudder control are never touched "til the wheels
are back on the ground. Despite the fact that these guys never even breathe
on the rudder, their planes exhibit the same fuselage rotation into a cross
wind on vertical uplines that my planes do.
G.