[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane or Crab

CHV69 at aol.com CHV69 at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 11:27:05 AKDT 2007

In a message dated 10/13/2007 11:19:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
perkinsrx at centurytel.net writes:

I used  to ride motorcycles. I have owned two, a Yamaha XS1100 tourer and a
Honda  GoldWing 1500 SE.  BOTH bikes when hit by a gust of crosswind on  the
highway would lean into the gust, a lot! It was not me and it was  strong
enough to scare me silly the first time it happened. After some  riding
experience I learned to expect it and just relax because resulted in  a self
correcting motion.

The bike is not auto correcting you are. You just don't realize  it.
The wind is not blowing the bike over, it is blowing it in the direction of
the wind.
When that happens YOU are leaning the bike into the wind to steer it  back on
the road.

Believe me, if you didn't lean the bike into the wind, you would go off the
road.