[NSRCA-discussion] Crashing on takeoff and landing

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 09:26:32 AKDT 2007

I am late getting on this morning (chores and 3 hr time change).
Right on: Here is how I learned to manage crosswind takeoff and landing, at
least most of the time. In the mid 70’s I was a new RC pilot and joined a
club that flew from an unused runway (1 of 3) at a full size airport, you
guessed it, predominant crosswind. I had built a 1/4 scale Stevens Acro and
one windy day I got the downwind wing into the asphalt so quick it bounced
back down on the wheels. Some of you will be grinning by now. I decided I
wasn’t ready for that and hung it up for a while eventually concluding that
I had given a downwind snap roll command, the wind didn’t cause the
accident, I did. I now enjoy flying Cub type airplanes in a crosswind.
Jim Hiller