[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Thu Oct 11 09:30:48 AKDT 2007

 "<<<<Just as if another airplane were to plow into the side of it. It's going to move.>>>>"

Yeah, like just as if another airplane were to plow into the side of it back by the vertical fin it's going to rotate, but "only if it's fastened to the ground". (Wow)

Oh yeah, I agree that the airplane flies straight into the "freestream", but this deviation from our parallel flight path is generated by the force of the crossing air, the effect of which is produced by the fact that the lever arm of the vertical fin is 2+ times the length of the nose (from the C.G.) multiplying the side force aft and thus creating the offset.
Me again.