[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane

CHV69 at aol.com CHV69 at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 10:39:44 AKDT 2007

In a message dated 10/10/2007 12:39:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ed_alt at hotmail.com writes:

I wonder if the  weathervane effect is there because of the greater
distribution of side area  aft of the CG?  I’m not sure of that, just an idea.

My observations are, in order for an object to weather vane the object must
be attached to a fixed object or an object that is moving slower than the
wind.  Like a boat caught in the tide it has no boat speed over the water  but
may be traveling 4 or 5 kts over the bottom. An airplane will weather vane  on
the ground, or on a pole, or in a tree. The air the plane is flying  through is
just that, air. The plane does not have a slower air speed up wind or
downwind while flying. The ground speed and heading made good, will change only
relative to the ground.

Just my 2 cents

Carl