[NSRCA-discussion] Rudder

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Oct 10 09:19:02 AKDT 2007

That is the best description I have read so far. Agree 100%.

  Not long ago, I was talking with someone about wind correction and mentioned that a very small amount of aileron should be used when pulling a radius to a vertical line. He said if he ever saw me do it while he was judging, he would downgrade. I told him if I do it right, he will never see it. :-)

  Bob R.

J N Hiller <jnhiller at earthlink.net> wrote:

    v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                This has been an interesting discussion. The airplane dose not establish a crab angle on it’s own when in the air. The airplane has a crab angle in horizontal flight and when it is pulled vertical the wings will not be perpendicular to the flight path without a roll correction. The need for the correction will be apparent and automatically applied prior to finishing the radius. When a roll input is applied with elevator it changes the heading in the direction of roll, (think barrel roll) in this case into the wind as it finishes the radius. Most of the time it will be excessive requiring a little opposite (down wind) rudder correction unless the upwind wing was high entering the pull-up. Once the airplane is leaning to one side in a vertical the lean will increase and is especially noticeable as it slows. Some
 increase is needed to maintain wind correction and the need for opposite rudder to maintain a vertical track depends on how rapidly the airplane is decelerated. Most of the time I will try to apply some down wind rudder with the roll correction at about 45 degrees, before the need becomes visible as it is nearly always required. In short just point the airplane in the direction you want it to go and stir the sticks as necessary.
  Jim Hiller