[NSRCA-discussion] Rudder

Terry Beachler terryb at beachlers.com
Tue Oct 9 10:57:10 AKDT 2007

J & B
Weather vane implies the wind blowing the tail away from and the nose
into the wind which would be desirable for (self)correcting for
crosswind. This would imply that an airplane on a cross country
flight would self correct into a crosswind, no crab necessary. Or the
reverse, pilot would have to hold rudder for a couple of hours on a
cross country flight. Talk about a way to induce asymmetrical leg
muscles...wow!

Rudder is used to point the noise into the wind i.e. to induce crab.
Full scale pilots make a small coordinated turn into the wind to
create crab angle and the desired ground track. I think I read in
some pattern stuff that pattern pilots can induce crab and it either
presents better to a judge or they can sneak the crab in a way not so
easily detected by the judge.  Weathervaning would only happen on the
ground with a taildragger, usually the beginning of a ground loop. Or
with the airplane on a pylon on the vertical axis, just like a weathervane.

Crab angle and track apply here. Crosswind acts upon the whole
airplane in flight, not just the tail surface. If we turn this whole
situation 90 degrees and fly into a headwind and pull up, the
airplane would flop over on its back because of the greater exposed
surface of the wing area. The wing would have a greater weathervane
effect. But it does not work thataway.

Bob and I have been having fun with this one for a while.

Terry Beachler