[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane angle of attack

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Tue Oct 2 07:46:38 AKDT 2007

Cylindrical bodies definitely generate lift when flown at an angle of
attack.  The lift coefficient is normally referenced to the diameter
of the fuselage.  Think about a guided missile that doesn't bank to
turn.  It must generate large amounts of lift to maneuver in yaw and
they normally don;t have much of a conventional wing in either the
pitch or yaw plane.
Pattern planes don't have circular cross sections but we all know the
larger the fuselage volume the more lift we have for flying knife edge.

I yield to Chris M on how airliners fly.

Jim O