[NSRCA-discussion] Was quiet: Now Judging / Performing StallTurns

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 03:18:44 AKST 2007

Larry

If I'm reading your post right - you describe a perfect stall turn (as far as the yaw rotation goes). The same works in a cross-wind, except the wind compensation will show fewer yaw degrees in attitude - but the line reversal will be the required 180 deg.

FAI rules require the rotation to be about the CG with 1 pt downgrade per 1/2 wingspan "opening" (airplane needs to track the same line up and down for best score)  - AMA rules allow 1/2 wingspan before downgrading. FAI (for 2008 - ) have added a requirement to downgrade if the airplane "skids" on the upline. Both require downgrading a "pendulum" movement on the downline. Neither FAI nor AMA require that the airplane be stopped on the upline before rotation, except that much speed will result in the "skid".

Proper stall turns aren't accidental - proper technique (and enough rudder) will get them right every time. Probably the reason the "tight" stall turn looks strange is that most others are vulnerable to downgrades for being too open.

So - what Jason says.

Earl