[NSRCA-discussion] WC '07

Steven Maxwell patternrules at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 03:32:22 AKST 2007

 Doug without a doubt calling at this level is much harder than flying. I hate calling it's ok for someone you know and have worked with. I once traveled to a Masters  (80's pattern not Don Lowe) with Earl Haury to call for him and it's to easy to call for him your just there to remind him of the manuvers he knows what to with the plane.

Doug Cronkhite <seefo at san.rr.com> wrote:  Heh.. yep. Things that like need to be figured out well ahead of time so
the pilot isn't expecting something other than what's being delivered.

Two different years at the TOC I wound up calling for 3 different
pilots, and they ALL wanted to be told different things in different
ways. Jason just wanted the maneuvers called with roll directions to
keep him on track in the sequence. More often than not, he'd already
memorized the entire thing INCLUDING unknowns. Jason could commit a
sequence to memory quicker than anyone I've ever flown with. Mike
McConville wanted more verbage but was pretty much the same except I
called out all points of a point roll, roll directions and talked a
little more on position and such, and then Kirk Gray liked me talking to
him the whole time.

For me, the hardest thing about being a caller at that level was the
preparation. Every sequence was written out and rehearsed 4 different
ways (left to right, right to left, with both versions to move the
flight line in or out depending upon wind conditions). This sort of
thing also emphasized how much trust the pilot has to have in their
caller, such that when the caller says to do something, the pilot does
it without hesitation or question.

-Doug