[NSRCA-discussion] Wing Construction

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 05:21:46 AKST 2007

The few grams one would save by not applying glue to the skins in the open bay areas isn't worth the hassle, in my experience.

?

I use the roller for skinning and apply a lite even coat to the sealed skin and then use the residual wetness on the roller to touch the foam. It helps produce a more even, more consistent?joint. Skins are sealed using a lite-med coat of hairspray. I have also used nitrate dope for sealing which works extremely well, except I wait 2 days to fully flash the solvent.

?

A quick point on wing weight.... my 500 sq inch panels usually work out to weigh around 8.5-9.0 ozs each ready to cover. With reasonable technique, the panels come in at around 13 to 13.5 ozs, fully painted and ready for servo and linkage. There just isn't much more weight savings to be had in wing construction. That's one reason why I usually concentrate my weight savings approach to the fuse. The fuse often?offers much greater opportunity for savings than wings do. I often measure the weight savings in ounces, not grams, when constructing the fuse.

?

regards,

MattK

?