[NSRCA-discussion] DX7?

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Nov 1 17:20:25 AKDT 2007

I wrote this for RCU sometime back.

Several things the DX7 doesn't have that makes it not very friendly for
pattern usage:

No variable trim rates. Easy to end up between trims, and the trim rate
is very course.

No throttle curve. I've made a quasi curve using the suggestion someone
online came up with, but it doesn't substitute for a real curve. This
is a biggie in my book.

No conditional mixes. I use a rudder to rudder mix to get a higher rate
for stall turns switched with the throttle stick at low throttle.
Doesn't appear possible on this.

No origin mixes.

No built in mix for knife edge. Uses two separate mixes to do it. The
lack of origin mixing can affect these.

No multipoint mixes.

No split expo rates so you can get different rates for, say, up and
down elevator.

No built in mix for two elevator servos. Only two mixes include a trim
function, so you use one up to get this. Why EVERY computer radio
doesn't include this is beyond me, given the number of two servo planes
on the market.

No snap switches. I use them only for the avalanche, as I can get
better timing this way.

Sticks were the softest I've seen, even when set full stiff. A set of
HD springs helped. Sticks are smooth though.

Transmitter doesn't balance well at all on a lanyard, being very bottom
heavy due to no antenna. We added a lanyard hook extension helping this
a lot. This is a chronic problem with JR radios, and the lack of a long
antenna just makes it worse.

This is a sport radio, and as long as you don't expect more from it,
you will be ok. If you are used to a full function radio, especially
one as easy to program as the 10x, you will get frustrated quickly.

Jon Lowe