[NSRCA-discussion] After run oil ?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed May 9 18:52:33 AKDT 2007

I am not sure why this kind of argument surfaces every couple years.....but
it does. In my experience, whatever procedure works for you after a session
then use that. As Tom mentioned, in humid climes you might want to use the after
run. In drier climes you can get away with what Mike and Wayne do. I lived in
hot, humid FLA for 16 years and learned to use castor as the after run and
never had bearing problems. When I moved to Jersey a couple years ago (which is
also a humid place in the summer) I didn't follow the method as religiously as
in FLA and had a bearing failure in my W160 after less than 100 runs. Lesson
learned.

The take away is that the newer folks among us should pay attention to what
the more experienced are doing in THEIR area and follow that technique.

Running the engine rich throughout the range is a major reason bearings last
a long time and conversely,  lean runs are bearings killers regardless of the
afterrun method one uses. Rich running throughout requires a properly tuned
set-up for 2 strokes on pipes. In my view, 4 strokes generally have had
comparatively few bearing problems because they won't run well lean but run fine at
richer settings.

And BTW, as Karl implies below, higher nitro requires a more open needle
which, among other things, forces more oil through the engine per cycle

MattK

In a message dated 5/9/2007 5:50:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,