[NSRCA-discussion] Odyssey CG

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue May 1 18:55:03 AKDT 2007

Calculating the proper CG of an airplane has almost become like
religion: "My religion is better than yours."  There are no 'right'
answers, but there are many 'wrong' answers.
If you tell me what a particular elliptical wing and stabilizer
combination looks like, I could tell you where I think the CG of an
airplane having an these elliptical planforms should be.  It involves
integrating the moment-producing capability of each chordwise strip
across the wing/stab span and the length between the wing and the
stabilizer.  However, there are ellipses and then there are other
ellipses.  If that sounds weird, consider that a rectangular wing has
a MAC at the 25% chordwise point.  It is pretty well known where the
MAC of this wing is located.  Now consider the same wing that's swept
something more than a trivial number of degrees, say 30 degrees.
What's the MAC?  Well, it's certainly not the same number.  It's more
like the previous MAC divided by the cosine of the sweep angle.
The elliptical wing has a MAC that's somewhat inboard of the
midspan.  How much inboard of the midspan the MAC is located is
determined by the shape of the ellipitical wing.  Is it short and
stubby like the Spitfire, or long and slender?
I could go on, but by now almost everyone is either bored or looking
for a squabble.

Ron Van Putte