[NSRCA-discussion] NATS discussions (was Rule 8.1.1)

John Konneker jlkonn at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 12:19:27 AKDT 2007

I was just getting into RC in 1981.
There was a very old/wise modeler mentoring me.
I was at the point that I wanted to make a decision as to which direction
within RC I wanted to go.
I think he was trying to lean me toward "giant scale".
:-)
The Seguin Nats were about 250 miles from where I lived at the time,
Beaumont, Texas.
He told me to go watch and see what all was out there.
I did...seemed like everything was going on at once...cl stunt, speed, free
flight, pylon and in the afternoon pattern.
I had never seen a true pattern plane or pattern flying.
It was like watching the solo man of the Thunderbirds!
Saw a guy flying Expert that I was really impressed with.
I went up and talked to him after his flight.
Very nice guy.
His name was Bill Cunningham.
When I left to drive home I was hooked on pattern!
JLK