[NSRCA-discussion] Flying in wind

Robert L. Beaubien rbeaubien at koolsoft.com
Thu Mar 15 10:41:36 AKDT 2007

As someone that is trying to unlearn the bad habits of my training, I
wonder if I am approaching this the wrong way.

I was trained to fly without rudder (except for ground control) and
learned the reverse controls concept when flying toward me and I pretty
much think that way when flying.  I have learned to use a little rudder
to be able to land in crosswinds, but it just seems to foreign to me.
As I start down the path of learning to fly pattern, I find the concept
of learning to fly a straight path in a cross wind while performing
maneuvers to be daunting.

Troy has been helping me out a lot, but I was wondering if anyone has
suggestions for going through this relearning process.

- Robert Beaubien