[NSRCA-discussion] Hinge Seals

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 10:00:57 AKST 2007

Jay,

Many moons ago, Don Lowe and Ron Van Putte were advocates of sealing the
hinge gaps. In essence, the seal promotes improved control authority. Most
importantly, it produces consistent response from the control AND flight surfaces by
practically eliminating differential lift that may result from unsealed
set-ups.

Seal material may be almost anything that is flexible and light. My technique
is pretty simple: I take a strip of clear iron-on film material designed for
foamies and fold it in half lengthwise, glue side up. I run the fold over an
edge to set and then insert it into the gap. With a thin straight edge holding
the film in position against the hings, I use an iron set at the low settings
required for foamie work and gently secure the strip of film aginst the flat
surface of the wing/stab/fin post facing and the bevel of the control surface.

I prefer the low temp adhesives of foamie clear film covering because there's
less opportunity to damage the paints I use in my finishes

MattK

In a message dated 3/10/2007 10:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,