[NSRCA-discussion] Chapter-5 Going too far.

W. Hinkle whinkle1024 at msn.com
Fri Jun 29 09:30:16 AKDT 2007

Anthony,

I think you hit it on the head. No matter what was done in reveiw of the
scores an analysis can't derive what the pilot performed.

The problem happened here has two parts. First you are required to judge,
and second if you don't score on the average for a given pilot then you are
labeled as bias. Are these not the same people that told us two years ago
that 1/2 the pilots in the World Champs final would have scored zero on the
snaps if "we" were judging. Is this a double standard, or is that judge(s)
biased against snaps that don't look like his, or his favorite pilots? Is
there a chance that this is the very first attempt to form all judges into
their own image of what is proper?

The labeled "bias" judge said he was the only one with a scribe, Was this
verified by the Bias investigations committee. The Labeled Biased Judge
stated that other judges were frequently looking down to read the next part
of the pattern. So was he bias, was he tough, or did he see errors that
others did not? Looking at the F-07 pattern for the first time I see that
many of the elements are long to read. Maybe the "standard" good judges
missed half the manuerver before they finsihed reading the text. Was this
verfied or debunked by the Bias Investigations committee?

Somehow I don't think this problem would have stretched into this name
calling if not for the pilots and judge involved. This has been said by
Derek. There is long line of problems between these pilots and the judge. So
the question is why would the Bias Investigations committee both when we
already knew it was an issue. It was a long time problem Derek has stated.
For sure they all have the high ethical standards to get what they deserve
from the situation. From what I have recieved in private Dave is of the
highest ethical standard without question. I do not say it is right that a
judge carry bias into the chair, yet I find the actions of the pilots
involved to be beyond unethical. These are the pilots being praised in the
group, and the Judge is being banished.

Does FAI have a system of dropping the high and low judges? The rule book
says it should happen. Did the Bias Investigations Committee find that the
high and low were dropped. The purpose to eliminate or minimize bias
situations like this. The next step might be that all the judges don't like
me persoanlly because I point out the obvious. I say what was wrong and
won't waver regardless of the hate mail offline. I guess I should watch out
in case I'm entering the box in front of these fine people as a pilot. I
speak out as I feel this is a sad state of affairs. Many want this idea
crushed, trust us they say, you don't know the facts. You get kciked off the
list they say. Well I will not attack a fellow pilot. After all they are all
above reproach.

I question if any of the Bias Investigations committee members watched the
flights. I question if any of the Officers of the board watched the flights.
And then I would question the Bias of those people in the situation. If we
as the Pattern world are going to label our judges and bannish them like
this, would that not influence judges that don't want to be bannished to
second guess that score when its one of the favorite few that have such high
ethical standards.

To me this is a world of harsh reality. Sometimes we don't get the kudos
that we THINK we deserve. The system is now in place to make your own
results. The future going forward he who wants to keep his buddies happy,
and not reep the wrath of the powers that be, will be forced to score on the
average for fear of a Feb 13th certified letter in his mail box.

Derek stated it is a sad day for pattern. Yes it was the day that judges
decisions became very dependant on the pilot. The rule book says judges
decisions are independant. I guess this only carries on if the pilots
involved don't scream loud enough to get the NSRCA's Bias Investigations
Committee, The BIC involved. The BIC now determines how indpependant your
decision as a judge can be.

The day the BIC rendered its decision was the day that music stopped. Now
everyone is running for a chair, and its too bad folks that feel this action
by the powers all high is wrong get such behind the scenes hate mail. I
wonder if anyone that voices an opinion of this situation being bad for
pattern and the NSRCA's actions being wrong will ever be treated fairly as a
pilot or a judge. Oh I forgot we have the BIC to take care of that problem
for us ?

With that few thoughts for those that are truly independant in your sense of
right and wrong, I'll leave you all to your weekend. I hope some of that
rain the guys in OKC got heads east we need it.

Wayne Hinkle
Former USPJA Judge