[NSRCA-discussion] Scoring Process Question

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Jun 26 13:14:47 AKDT 2007

I'd have to respectfully disagree on the normalization point.  Normalization
is critical to making sure that one round is not "worth more" than another.

There are a zillion ways to show this by example if need be... But it's
necessary to equalize rounds to various conditions, be it Judging, Weather,
or even mechanical failure of a key pilot.

-M

On 6/26/07 4:56 PM, "Fred Huber" <fhhuber at clearwire.net> wrote:

> Your analysis is correct.  We are even amplifying the significant digit
error
> by multiplying a score from 0 to 10 by a K value THEN doing the 1000
point
> normalization on the top score.

If we were trying to send a rocket to the
> moon using these type
calculations... we wouldn't be sure of getting the ship
> into low earth
orbit... or maybe we'd be sending it to Pluto.

However for
> comparison for flying... as long as the top scorers are
reasonably
> consistant, making the 1000 score worth about the same total K
value each
> round... it will work pretty well.

We could just eliminate the conversion to
> 1000 basis and add the K factor
multiplied raw scores in a couple of contests
> as an error check...  My bet
is the contest results don't change.

-----