[NSRCA-discussion] Scoring Process Question

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Jun 26 12:06:38 AKDT 2007

I have to sit down and look at the math, but how does adding judges impact
this statistically?  I.e. More judges will technically improve the accuracy,
and yet doesn't change the number of significant digits in the equation.

There is no question that we separate pilots by a whim at large contests.
The arbitrary 7 vs 8 on one maneuver, by one judge with all else being
identical is all that separates the winners at the nats in any of the
classes usually.

That said, this "style" of judging, assigning 0-10 scores multiplied by a
difficulty factor and then normalized is used throughout almost every
subjective sport from Diving to Figure skating...with great (albeit similar
disputes) success. And there's a lot more money and attention paid to those
activities to get the attention of people far more savvy at higher math than
I...so I'm going to suggest that we must be missing something, and that it
works. :):)

-M

On 6/26/07 2:30 PM, "glmiller3 at suddenlink.net" <glmiller3 at suddenlink.net>
wrote:

> Mike,

Take some time and read it with a glass of wine tonight<G>...My point
> is exactly that we are creating an ILLUSION of accuracy which is not
> statistically present.  If my statistics are correct, scores are only accurate
> to about 100 points of the 1000 point scale.  We are deciding most of our
> contests on the statistical "noise".

I haven't proposed any change, I'm
> just asking for ideas......If I had a better solution, I'd offer it.  I think
> that you are right in that expanding the judges score to more digits won't
> help because it is an inherently subjective number that can't be quantified
> more accurately than "about a half a point" on a ten point scale.

George

---- Michael Wickizer <mwickizer at msn.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >significant. For example, in the number 8200, it is not
> clear if the zeroes
> >are significant or not. The number of significant
> digits in 8200 is at
> >least two, but could be three or four. To avoid
> uncertainty, use scientific
> >notation to place significant zeroes behind a
> decimal point:
> >8.200 ´  has four significant digits
> >8.20 ´  has three
> significant digits
> >
> >8.2 ´  has two significant digits
> >

> >Significant Digits in Multiplication, Division, Trig. functions, etc.
> >

> >In a calculation involving multiplication, division, trigonometric
>
> >functions, etc., the number of significant digits in an answer should equal
>
> >the least number of significant digits in any one of the numbers being
>
> >multiplied, divided etc.
> >
> >Thus in evaluating sin(kx), where k = 0.097
> m-1 (two significant digits)
> >and x = 4.73 m (three significant digits),
> the answer should have two
> >significant digits.
> >
> >Note that whole
> numbers have essentially an unlimited number of significant
> >digits. As an
> example, if a hair dryer uses 1.2 kW of power, then 2
> >identical hairdryers
> use 2.4 kW:
> >
> >1.2 kW {2 sig. dig.} X 2 {unlimited sig. dig.} = 2.4 kW {2
> sig. dig.}
> >"******
> >
> >My Point is this:
> >
> >I've seen many contests
> decided by less than 10 points on a scale of 4000
> >which has been expanded
> from (at most) 2 significant digits.  As a matter
> >of "statistics" I think
> that any separation of less than 100 points (two
> >significant digits, ie,
> 3X00 points) is "artificial accuracy".
> >Unfortunately, I don't have any
> great ideas about how to improve upon the
> >current system, I'm just
> pointing out what I think is a scientifically
> >valid problem with it.
> >

> >I smile when I see round scores posted to ten thousanths of a point on a
>
> >scale that has been expanded from two significant digit accuracy to a 1000
>
> >point scale.  This turns a two significant digit answer into eight
>
> >significant digits!  (ie, 1234.5678)    I think that scientifically, the
>
> >scores would be more accurately posted as in scientific notation at   x.x
>
> >* 10 to the second power.  Most of the contests that I've been to this year
>
> >have been decided essentially by random statistical "noise" rather than >
> >actual scoring decisions.
> >

> >Has anyone ever thought/talked about
> this before ?
> >
> >Let me add, that despite what I think are statistically
> invalid methods, in
> >most cases the system seems to work pretty well.  In
> general the superior
> >pilots get enough better scores to overcome the
> "noise" but it sure would
> >be nice to come up with a more mathematically

NSRCA-discussion mailing
NSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.org