[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

glmiller3 at suddenlink.net glmiller3 at suddenlink.net
Mon Jun 25 11:21:11 AKDT 2007

Jon,

I agree wholeheartedly.  I have chosen to go electric and with my limited building skills and standard off the shelf equipment, I've built two electified Focuses that weigh in at less than 11lbs.  That's with nothing exotic at all. Monkote, balsa, CA and epoxy.  One has a Plettenberg and one is an AXI 5330-- the Pletty is much lighter and much more expensive, but I didn't think that it was worth the cost difference for my second attempt. The AXI setup is right at the limit but I could get a new set of batteries and lighten it up if I needed a couple of ounces.  I'm using 2 year old battery technology with TP 5300's.   The electric equipment is evolving very rapidly right now and it will be easy to make weight long before a rules change can be effected.  I say leave well enough alone.  Everyone knows the rules and can choose accordingly.

my $0.02 worth

George

---- Jon Lowe <jonlowe at aol.com> wrote:
> I've been watching this with fascination.  We have rules, and electric
technology is catching up to them.  If I didn't know John, this would
sound like someone had tried to go in cheap, found out it didn't work,
and then crying to get the rules changed to fit his "solution".  Right
now, electrics are still bleeding edge technology, and lots of guys are
bleeding lots of money.  The ones I see having the problems are the
ones that don't buy proven combinations, and go thru lots of pain in
the process.  I saw a situation this past weekend where a
manufacturer's speed controller didn't work properly with the motor
they sold with it.  As a result, the owner had to use another brand
which fortunately did work.  In some cases the buyers are becoming the
beta testers; not good.  Right now, it appears that in the long run you
will save money buying proven setups.

Of course, even with glow, some buyers become beta testers, even with
some high buck solutions.  At dinner Saurday nite at the Nederland
contest I heard a hilarious discussion about a certain engine that
starts with an "M" and ends with an "r".  Rather than seeing if you had
the latest firmware upgrade, you had to ensure you had the latest
insulator, pump mod, etc.  Just goes to show, what looks and sounds
good on paper doesn't always translate to reality, be it glow or
electric.  You need to do your research, talk with lots of people that
have the exact setup you are thinkg of buying (NOT the importer or
manufacturer, and NOT the internet!), and go from there.

 From what I gather, the first 4 strokes for pattern were not all that
great, and the technology grew into the rules.  Electric will be the
same way.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go electric, and there is no
clear advantage, IMHO.  The current World Champion is still flying
glow, and he can get anything he wants.  You can bet he would be flying
electric if he saw a clear advantage.  If you can't afford electric,
don't go that way.  Its just like buying a 10x or a 14 MZ.  You don't
HAVE to have one to win.  Other solutions will work.  Don't ask to
change the rules to give 9Cs or 9303s an advantage just because you
can't afford top of the line.

Jon Lowe