[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Jun 25 09:11:45 AKDT 2007

No.  Most of the people who can "make weight" are extremely talented
in building a light airplane for battery power (or can afford to pay
a talented builder) and have the money to spend to buy the lightest
equipment (motor/batteries/ESC).  I don't think I'm denigrating the
pilot on a limited budget when I say that.  The result is, those who
have the money can compete with electric-powered airplanes, but most
of the others can't.  The factor causing most of the money
discrepancy is the unfair application of the weight limit by
requiring electric-powered airplanes to be weighed with the
batteries, but allowing glow-powered airplanes to be weighed with an
empty fuel tank.

Ron Van Putte