[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 08:14:01 AKDT 2007

You make a powerful argument here.

A few things to consider:
    Many more of us would like to try electrics except the cost is prohibitive. A rule that lowers the costs will open the door to more contestants. It appears that where money is not a factor, electrics are preferred by most high end flyers.

    Reliance on methanol & petroleum fuel is getting less desirable all the time. Costs, availability and perceived environmental concerns are against the technology.

    Electrics are welcome at many sites where recips are not. This is especially true in high population densities.

These issues are "deal breakers" for many who would like to fly pattern competition.

I don't like the idea of shortening the sequences to accommodate less powerful airplanes, but it will achieve the objective of keeping competition alive and affordable.

There is a strong feeling that weight increases will make biplanes more viable as well. My reaction to that is simply to accept that as progress.

I think it is in all of our best interests to encourage  the development and use of electric power in our Sport.

Either raise or eliminate the weight requirement for electrics. If you choose to raise it for glow/gas as well it will be necessary to include displacement limits to keep the technologies competitive.

It appears to me that the MAAC rule to weigh without batteries is a big step in the right direction.

John Ferrell    W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to plow
       around the stumps"
http://DixieNC.US