[NSRCA-discussion] Fwd: Electric Weight Proposal Logic and Rationale

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Jun 21 10:26:06 AKDT 2007

Yeah, broken record. :-)

  I think we are stuck with whatever the FAI rules are. For aircraft records (like distance, duration, etc) the FAI requires it to be takeoff weight. I don't understand why it is not done for competition planes. What is the reason behind the weight limit, specifically? Is it to keep the mass below a certain level so as to limit the kinetic energy of the plane?

  Bob R.

Richard Strickland <richard.s at allied-callaway.com> wrote:
      I know I sound like a broken record, but: The IC airplanes are weighed without fuel--the electrics should be weighed with out their fuel.  Give or take a little for the tank and not splitting hairs--but it simply is not fair the way it is set up now.  I'd still like to know how that decision was made--so they could just un-make it...seemed pretty arbitrary to me...no rule change involved--it appears someone just said this is so.  Somebody straighten me out, please.

  Richard Strickland