[NSRCA-discussion] Nats registration

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 09:51:37 AKDT 2007

Guys, there is no substitute for experience.
I don’t know if I should get into the muddle of this but here goes.
Judging certification is great I have supported it from its inception. It
brought national standardization to judging from a time when one could find
significant differences in regional interpretation of vaguely defined
judging criteria. All the folks who have and continue to dedicate their time
and effort are to be commended for a job well done.
As a somewhat reluctant judge I find judging complex higher-class maneuvers
nearly impossible without a working knowledge of and instant recall of the
maneuver nearly equal to what is required to fly the maneuver. There can be
a couple dozen maneuver elements in a complex maneuver, some of which need
to be remembered and compared to similar elements elsewhere in the maneuver.
All of this happens quite rapidly and without instant recall of exactly what
that maneuver needs to look like it is difficult to pick up many geometric
errors and incorrect geometry that should zero the maneuver. At times it can
be difficult just to understand when a maneuver is finished.
There is no substitute for time in the chair and when someone is assigned to
judge a higher class training should if possible, include actual judging of
demo-flights with after flight debriefing. Seeing the maneuver flown
correctly a few times helps a lot with instant recall.
For what it’s worth.
Jim Hiller