[NSRCA-discussion] For Sale

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 11:02:45 AKDT 2007

Long ago, right after dirt was invented, we used to fly by
frequency.  This was back before the 50 channels we have now.  There
were seven 72 MHz frequencies, as I remember (if I'm wrong, someone
will jump in and correct me).  Contests were flown with, for example,
all the pilots on 72.080 MHz flying in a row, regardless of what
class they flew.  It was awkward for the judges, because they would
see pilots in different classes flying in front of them helter
skelter.   We started flying by class in the southeast long before
the Nats were done this way.  In fact, it was our success with
running classes this way that lead to the Nats adopting it.  You just
need good frequency control.  Later, we decided to allocate certain
frequencies to each class and frequency control became easier.

Ron Van Putte