[NSRCA-discussion] SPEKTRUM modules for JR transmitters

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 07:32:53 AKDT 2007

I have been flying one of the new SPEKTRUM modulels for JR transmitters
in my 10x for a couple of weeks.  There is an issue reported by my Dad,
and some others flying them, with the antenna connector on the back of
the module having the retaining nut come loose, and then loosening the
connection to the circuit board inside the module.  The antenna
connector is normally restrained from rotating by the body of the
connector being captured inside the module.  However, if the external
nut gets loose enough, the connector can back out and then rotate,
pulling on the wire connection to the circuit board.  The fix is
simple, but the results if you don't do it can be disasterous if the
connection gets pulled from the board.  I found mine loose last nite,
and made the fix below.

Remove the module from the transmitter.  On the side of the module that
fits inside the tranmitter, there are four allen head screws.  Remove
them.  Carefully remove the front half of the case of the module from
the back half, being sure not to loose the binding button extension,
and not pulling on the wire that connects the antenna connector to the
circuit board.  Be sure the connection is tight between the wire and
the tiny connector on the circuit board.  You can also stake the wire
to a spot on the circuit board with a drop of thick CA if you desire.
Tighten the exterior nut on the antenna connector to the case half.
Reassemble the front half of the module to the back half with the allen
screws.  Use a small drop of gap filling CA on exterior of the antenna
connector between the nut and the threads, to stake the nut into place.

Make sure every time you take the antenna cable on and off the module
that the nut hasn't come loose.  As long as it doesn't come loose, you
won't put any strain on the wire between the connector and the circuit
board inside the module.

I flew the system in competition a couple of weeks ago in Knoxville.
Works great, with no issues.  I'm planning to fly the system at the
NATS.  What else can you say?!

Jon Lowe