[NSRCA-discussion] Bell South e-mail

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Tue Jul 24 08:03:05 AKDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:44:40 -0500
<pacrchobbies89 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Has anyone found out why Bell South (AT&T) customers are not receiving
> e-mail?  I have only received 2-3 messages a day, and missed out on
> all the NATS discussions, and other important information that I have
> since heard about.  I called Bell South with no luck.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Since you are on bellsouth.net, I'm not sure whether you saw my earlier
explanation, so here it is:

From: Tom Simes <simestd at netexpress.com>
To: NSRCA discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Subject: Ongoing bellsouth.net e-mail outage
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:42:53 -0800

I've spend a little more time going through the mailing list logs.  The
indications are that if you are a bellsouth.net customer, since July
10th there has been roughly a 1 in 3 chance that you will not receive a
given inbound e-mail (from any source, not just the NSRCA list).

In a nutshell, when any server on the Internet tries to deliver mail for
a bellsouth.net customer, it first performs a lookup to find out which
servers handle inbound mail for bellsouth.net.  Bellsouth.net has a set
of 3 inbound mail servers (mx00.mail.bellsouth.net,
mx01.mail.bellsouth.net and gateway-f1.isp.att.net).  The 3 servers are
equally weighted and are served up round-robin fashion.  Since July
10th, gateway-f1.isp.att.net has been refusing e-mail addressed to any
bellsouth.net list user with a "user unknown" permanent error which
results in the e-mail being discarded as undeliverable.

Since I sent out the above message, AT&T has continued their
assimilation of bellsouth.net and the problem has gotten worse.  Now
instead of 2 out of 3 inbound mail servers accepting bellsouth.net mail,
2 out of 3 are rejecting inbound bellsouth.net mail as undeliverable.  I
sent a fresh set of logs from this morning to the postmaster address of
both bellsouth.net and att.net, but to date I haven't heard anything
from them.

My suggestion is to get another e-mail provider in the interim. Google's
Gmail service is free and quite reliable.

You can sign up here:
http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

And then re-subscribe to the NSRCA list using your new Gmail address
here: http://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion

You can always catch up on the NSRCA postings you've missed by going to
the mailing list archives:

http://lists.nsrca.org/pipermail/nsrca-discussion/

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com