[NSRCA-discussion] To YS or Not

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Mon Jul 16 11:16:35 AKDT 2007

I'm also moving to e-power.

There's a fairly steep learning curve to make the trasnsition.  Something as seemingly minor as changing from an APC "Pattern" prop to an E series can make a huge difference.  Going electric will make you truely believe in experimenting with different props.

Back to the original question..

Any higher performance engine will have higher maintenance demands.  Closer tollerances and higher stresses on the parts just make it part of the deal.

OS FS and Magnum RFS 4-strokes are great for reliability.  YS gives more power for the same displacement.  Getting that extra power comes at a price... and its not just the sticker when you buy the engine.  You can "detune" the engine using lower nitro and not asking it to produce the same power and increase the time between needing valve adjustment or other maintenance... but then you may as well have gotten the OS or Magnum.

Your average passenger car can go 50,000 miles with nothing other than oil changes.  A NASCAR race car gets an engine rebuild every 500 miles.