[NSRCA-discussion] 90 size pattern plane

Xavier Mouraux xaviermouraux at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 17:07:24 AKDT 2007

Hi Ed,

I had about 20 flights on a Hyperion Katana 90 with
the recommended motor setup on 8S with a 17x8E. It was
8.5lbs ready to takeoff if I remimber. It flew really
well with very little mixes. I build it for a friend
and gave it back to him so I haven't push the trimming
too far. The motor was very powerfull and didn't get
hot. It's very visible in the air with the white and
pink.

>From what I could see, it was originaly a glow
airplane and I don't think it would be difficult to
install a YS110 or OS90 etc with pipe or muffler. The
firewall blind nuts didn't fit the motor mount but
probably fit a glow engine mount :-)

The batteries go in the belly pan so the plane need to
be turned on its back every time. At first it's ok but
it gets annoying. The belly pan is attached with 2
screws in the front and 2 magnets in the back (these 2
may need to be replaced for a glow engine)

There is not much room for the batteries in the belly
pan and not much cooling either. I only flew it in the
spring in Canada so I don't know how it would be in a
warm summer day.

Like many smaller airplane, the elevator servo is in
the front with a long rod and a Y at the back. There
is no support in the back so the rod could move
sideways a little and the 2 elevators could have
different angles. I would recommend adding a support
in the back for better tracking in loops.

It's still a nice airplane for a lot less money than a
2m 10S setup and it would perform well in classes up
to Advanced. I flew the P07 sequence with it and it
wasn't much worst than with my own plane...

Xavier