[NSRCA-discussion] Header Tank

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Jan 16 10:06:45 AKST 2007

Hi Jay,
Okay, you are
1) looking to isolate the fuel feed from the height difference
the tank goes through in different attitudes. I guess that means you want to try and not use a pump.
2) The other alternative would have been if you were looking to fix a problem with
picking up slugs of air near the end of the tank.

To move the main tank back without a pump.
In the setup Glen gave you, you want to run a fairly large air bubble in the hopper or header tank.
If there is no air bubble or a very tiny one, then you get almost no isolation.
Place inner end of the vent line a little ove 1/2 tank.
Then when you fill, the hopper will be maybe 5/8 full and then all the rest of the
fuel goes into the main tank. Put a short clunk in the hopper (1/2 way back)
and you will not pick up any air in a vertical downline either.

For preventing pickup of air (especially good with Perry style pumps and YS DZs)
make the hopper clunk go 1/2 way back, and put the vent tube inside the hopper
all the way to the top, so that the hopper fills with only the tiniest air bubble in it possible.

Oh yes, use the Perry!
best of luck,
Dean

Dean Pappas