[NSRCA-discussion] List rules... ??

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 10:16:02 AKST 2007

Amen.  I'm getting tired of the "political correctness" both on the list and
the K Factor.  I'm taking it a little personal at this point, because Lamar
Blair told me that he got a letter (not email) the other day blasting the
article I wrote on the OS 1.60 in the Nov 2006 K Factor.  Why?  Because I dared to
mention Tower Hobbies and other sources as suggested places you could get the
pieces I described.  I have not seen the letter, as Lamar sent it on to Derek
K., but Lamar described the contents.  The writer is a member of NSRCA and was
offended because I mentioned non-advertising vendors, at the alledged expense
of advertising vendors and local hobby shops.  Let's see, Great Planes is a
regular full page advertiser in the K Factor as the importer for Futaba and OS.
Hmm, who owns Great Planes?  Hobbico.  Who owns Tower?  Hobbico.  Seems like
Hobbico supports the K Factor to me.  So much for that crime.

Other vendors I mentioned were Aeroslave, Andy Pollitt for nose rings, Home
Depot, Karl Mueller for headers, Boca Bearings, Dave Lockhart for repitched
props, Bob Pasterello for coupler material, Morgan fuel, and a couple of others
in passing.  Why did I mention them?  Because that would have been the first
email I got, asking, "where do you buy this stuff?".  Some of these guys are so
small that advertising a lot doesn't make sense for them.  Very few, if any,
of the specialized parts may be available at your particular local hobby shop
(LHS), and some vendors don't sell thru LHS.  I support my LHS, but giving
sources lets people look at what they are buying, even if they get it thru the
LHS.  I also support K Factor vendors, as my bills from Central and Budd prove.
And sometimes I just don't feel like driving 20 minutes to my LHS for
something they don't stock and would special order, that I can order online and have
delivered to my door in a couple of days.

Frankly, I think Ihncheol did the right thing. He let people know of a supply
for a scare product in high demand.  He could have told his buddies about it,
and have one of them post it, and no one would (or could)have said a thing.
It isn't like he is on here all the time pushing his products.

The writer of the letter did not have the courtesy to copy me on the letter.
Derek, if you read this, please send me a copy when you get it.  Frankly, if
the whole thing wasn't so ridiculous, I'd think twice about writing another
article for the K Factor.

Incidently, I am not sponsored by any of the companies I mentioned in my
article or here.  I do write for RC Report on occasion.  Oops, I just mentioned a
non-advertisor!  Shame on me...

Jon Lowe

In a message dated 1/14/2007 11:42:58 AM Central Standard Time,