[NSRCA-discussion] Small Models ...goodforthefutureofthePattern Event?

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Jan 8 06:08:04 AKST 2007

Great discussion, too bad its been talked about 1000 times.  The good ole
days are gone and 2M planes rule.  I think Mike H is dead right when he
states that the sportsman that finds some kind of 2M plane is the guy that
comes back. There are 1001 reasons, excuses, what ever NOT to get past
flying a Kaos, and once in a while that reason is $$$, but mostly I think
the reasons are fear of not being able to compete. Once a Sportsman does
well he looks up and realizes how tough 402 is....from the people- not the
planes. There are so many used 2M planes that are reasonable that the
owners cannot get rid of them.

Some people will take to pattern, most will not. Changing the rules will
not help. Next time you go to your local field, show up without flying and
just watch and listen to your fellow club members. Watch HOW they fly,
listen to their discussions. This is what they WANT to do. It is much more
fun for them to be the guy who shows a newbie how to start and adjust that
blue OS 0.40 engine than it is to actually practice flying. Remember that
guy when you were new?...you though he was the best flyer at the field.
That guy is KING of his club and now you want him to come to a Pattern
contest so he can be shown how poor his skills really are...just like he
is at work and life?

You gotta understand the mindset of the local club member to understand
why they are not interested in pattern. Most times when I fly during a
nice day=lots of club members around, a few yell critique at me while I am
flying. "Egg shape", "crooked" and other useful and helpful hints. It does
not bother me and I know why they do it. Once you figure this out you will
know who actually is a candidate for pattern.

If someone really wants to fly pattern, he will, no matter what the size
of the plane, engine blah blah. Spend your energy recognizing and
cultivating that rare club member that actually is interested in precision
flying. On top of all this accept the fact pattern is not for everyone,
and the local club member has many things to choose from.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering
Raytheon