[NSRCA-discussion] Small pattern capable plane!

Jim Woodward Jim.Woodward at armorholdings.com
Mon Jan 8 04:11:56 AKST 2007

Hi Guys,

I think I found a GREAT plane for flying/practicing pattern in
mid/park-flyer sized frame.  I posted some stuff on it in RCU here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5224734/tm.htm  It is the Extreme
Flight RC Extra 300 E, converted to glow.  In doing this I upped the
servo size to the Futaba 3101s and 3102s, instead of the park-flyer
sized servos.  This is my 2nd Extreme Flight R/C plane in which I've
used the GMS .32 and it is a fantastic motor for this size plane.
Vertical performance is blistering and with initial flights of around 8
minutes, used about 3-4 oz of fuel out of a 6 oz  tank.  Besides the
obvivous engine mounting mods, the other things to consider are to
reinforce the stab and add 45 deg. Supports to the vertical fin.  They
are a bit thin.  However, in straight-n-level full throttle
"hauling-azz" speed, there was no flutter.  I really did not want to
have a bunch of $75 battery packs and have to mess with charging anymore
electric stuff.

The plane does very nice slow and point rolls.  I'm sure you could
change the rudder a bit for a pure-pattern practice plane.  It flies and
feels like a 55" plane, although only about 45" in span.  My final
weight was at 45 oz and it landed very nicely - no unexpected drop at
the end.  The 45 oz included a "doubled"' radio install weight due to
larger servos and full-size 8 channel receiver with MPI
switch/regulator.  I really took no special measures to reduce weight.
The model tracks very well.  It only took me about 10 months to sneak in
the time to finish this little project.

Thanks,

Jim W.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and proprietary information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.