[NSRCA-discussion] SmallModels...goodforthefutureofthePatternEvent?

Ken Thompson mrandmrst at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 18:35:57 AKST 2007

Fred,

At the risk of seeming  argumentative, I don't entirely agree with your
statements.  I'm relatively new to flying, especially Pattern, but there are
a few things I've learned in my 3 years of competition.

In doing a stall turn, you want to run out of forward motion at the top, not
necessarily power.  It's possible you may be trying to extend your lines too
far.

As for the vertical upline, carry more speed into the maneuver, tighten your
radii a little, shorten your line and you should have enough "oomph" to
carry over the top.

Again, not to be argumentative, however, a 1.5:1 power to weight would give
you unlimited vertical.  I would be extremely surprised if that kind of
power would be necessary to carry a clean upline of  375 to 400 ft., which
should be considered a very respectable elevation to make your transition to
level flight.

As for the Quest, a very nice plane I might add, you might want to try a 14
x 6, if available.  The larger disk while maintaining the lower pitch, has
always helped me increase my vertical abilities.  As for not being able to
finish 2 sequences on 1 charge, larger packs are in order.

Ken Thompson
D6 Newbie