[NSRCA-discussion] SmallModels...goodforthefutureofthePatternEvent?

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Sun Jan 7 09:11:58 AKST 2007

My dad has a Groovy 50 from World Models with a YS 63.  Great lower class
pattern plane.  World Models also makes a 90 size version.  Plug in wings,
whole top of fuse comes off for easy access to plumbing or batteries.  Now
his first attempt with an E powered Groovy 50 wasn't as good as his YS glow
powered version ( his fault ) , BUT, he quickly bought another Groovy 50 and
is outfitting it with E power again.  This is a 72 year old who never dreamt
of flying any low wing plane "hotter" than a Kaos.  Clip 10 years off his
age and I bet he'd attend a D1 contest in Sportsman.  Will he compete now ??
Doubtful, but the point is the readily available pattern ARFs in the 50 to
90 class are for real.    Availability from big retailers such as Tower,
World Models, etc. play a major part.  We moaned for years that there
weren't any readily available pattern ships available for the masses, well
now they're here.  We need to leverage this supply.  I have to plug another
pattern trainer/Sportsman plane, the Morris Hobbies Balsa Nova 120 ARF.  If
you can get by the looks, this is one great flying plane.  At 80" span you
need to snip a bit off each wing panel to be legal and that will help spin
and snap recovery but as is for Sportsman with a no longer in vogue YS120 or
similar powerplant, it's a great ride.
Ed M.