[NSRCA-discussion] Small Models ... good for the futureofthePattern Event?

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 15:48:00 AKST 2007

John,
         I thought that you might be interested in this information.

In the 2005 NSRCA rules change survey (sent out in 2002) I compiled the
following question with the intent of encouraging 60-90 sized completive
airplane development.

Judging of distances

Question-65

Should we therefore consider and AMA pattern contest rule change that states
the pilot should make the plane appear to be at the size of a 2-meter plane
being flown at 150-175 meters.?

YES = 71        NO = 100          RESULT = NO PROPOSED CHANGE .

I had been advised that the existing selection-and-intent of the FAI
150-metres rule was to create a relatively equal ease of visibility for 2M
airplanes to the judges??  Whether that was true or not I admit to being
very surprised when the idea was rejected so soundly by the survey
respondents.

I had been thinking that the smaller planes would fare better if they were
flown in a bit closer. Our rough math had shown that a 60-72" airplane would
look just about right at 100-110-M.

What would the difference be for a 2-M airplane and a 1.5-M airplane if
flown at their relative distances?

I also thought that the budding but slower electric planes of the day could
use the closer in option and need less extreme (read expensive) power
systems.

Regards,

Eric.