[NSRCA-discussion] bored... ? WHY.? I don't understand..

Del K. Rykert drykert2 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jan 5 07:13:53 AKST 2007

Can someone help me understand the mind set that in the past has driven the NSRCA to change the schedules because of the "I'm Bored" complaint?

I have been flying pattern for 30 years and have never attained I am bored feeling in any classes I have flown. From Novice to Masters and even FAI.  Never did I get to a point of feeling bored. Does one become so proficient at the maneuvers they know how to handle every weather variable and every mechanical issue of trimming that leads to the boredom?  I never have been there and done that.

Maybe those that do become bored change homes and cars every couple of years because of their character. If that is the case is that helping our hurting the NSRCA? I find that many enjoy some sensible stability and not have to resort to I haven't flown the new sequences yet so can't attend this contest.  I can't count how many times I have heard this statement and it does hurt contest attendance. If the leaders truly want to encourage and foster growth then this mind set has to change.

As I previously stated, stop driving away the casual competitor and cater to the sportsmen, intermediate, and advanced classes and not let the train be directed by the mind set of the Masters and FAI flyers.

When I suggested a reduced fee for NSRCA members at local contest it was erroneously assumed by me that the C.D. or contest manager would re-structure the fees so the same amount of funds would be generated to create a price break for those that support. Majority of C.D. and contest Managers are NSRCA members so not all but many could set the example if they chose to.

Some mention a one class design like that is a bad thing. A couple of my friends left the pattern scene after trying to promote the one design concept as they saw the immense disparity that existed and didn't want to participate in such a biased event anymore.

Glad to see some are thinking outside the box and willing to explore some serious options to help address the issues facing the NSRCA.

                     Del
               nsrca - 473