[NSRCA-discussion] Aileron servo arm size and resolution?

Dave Lockhart davel322 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 3 19:36:28 AKST 2007

Kelly,

Without going into default and max/min values for each parameter for each
brand radio, endpoints, ATV, AFR, dual rates, mixers (built in, or Pmixes,
or differential mixes), and trim all have an effect on the amount of servo
travel.  You will have max servo resolution when the servo moves through the
full range of available travel (typically 90 degrees, 45 degrees each
direction).

The setup is a compromise between "speed" and resolution.  Move the linkage
out on the servo and reset the servo throw to yield the same control surface
deflection, and the resolution has gone down and the time needed for the
control surface to reach max deflection has also gone down.

So, if your flying rates have 45 degrees of servo rotation in each
direction, you are at max resolution.  In practice, if your servos are
moving 30-35 degrees in each direction, you will be in pretty good shape,
and you have some servo throw "leftover" to accommodate trim, sub trims, and
mixers.

Dave