[NSRCA-discussion] Aileron servo arm size and resolution?

Kelly Regan kelly.regan2 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 3 17:14:23 AKST 2007

What length servo arms do you run on the ailerons?

Why do I ask....

When I first set up my Brio with the 9411 sa's on the ailerons
I wanted to make sure I had full servo/radio resolution.

I fly with a Futaba 9C and have CHP control arms on the ailerons.

I set my ATV or End Point in the 9C to 130.  I used a standard JR
servo wheel with the linkage set to the inner most hole.  In order to
get the 1/2" aileron travel per the Brio manual I ended up with 120%
duel rate.  It was my understanding that this is exactly what I wanted.
High ATV and high duel rate for full resolution?

When Don flew my plane he said the aileron servo's seemed slow
to him?  He was surprised to hear I had 9411sa's.    He suggested
that I use longer servo arms and reduce the ATV to 100% to make
the to keep the throw at 1/2" while increasing the surface speed.

Tonight I installed the shortest Dubro arms with the linkage on the inner
most hole.   That put the numbers at 100% ATV but I had to reduce
the duel rate way down to 50% to get the same 1/2" throw.

Am I wrong in assuming that cuts my resolution in half?

I wanted to get you opinions on since I am now totally confused.

What does a faster aileron speed do for me versus the loss of resolution?
What is an acceptable loss in resolution to gain the speed?

Thanks for you help

--

Kelly Regan
www.reganbrothers.com