[NSRCA-discussion] ZDZ mixture change when I fly on the back

PPandelaers ppandelaers at pandora.be
Sun Feb 25 06:07:20 AKST 2007

Hi all,

Have a mixture issue which I suspect more of you may have experienced, maybe
someone knows a cure.

Running a ZDZ 80 RV in a Yak 54. Prop is a Mejzlik 26x10. MTW-cannister.
Turns about 6200 RPM.

Engine picks up wonderfully, does great 3D. but, on in back-flight, the RPM
sags a lot from mid- to high-range. Don't get full power at all. Flip it
around, immediately full power. From Back-flight, certainly from harrier, if
I push it up for a torque, the engine hesitates big time but never quits.

All in all, I run the engine fairly rich, it seems to be very tolerant to
mixture setting as long as it's on the rich side. I have tried to lean it
out to fix the back-flight issue, but then it doesn't pick up as well for
3D.

Hope someone can help.

Happy Landings ;-))

Patrick