[NSRCA-discussion] Competition Nerves

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 22 06:27:37 AKST 2007

Ed,
  That's awesome advice. Now that I think about it, the thing that helps me the most is my wife's voice. She gets me calm and focused during a round and helps me relax. The times I havae struggled have been when we have not had a chance to practice together and are not on the same page. When we are clicking, she knows which parts of the schedule are a challenge and gets me mentally prepared for them.

  All of these ideas will be used in conjunction with lots and lots and lots of practice. My goal this summer is to fly at least five days a week, which just so happens to be 3 1/2 days a week more than in the past.

Ed Deaver <divesplat at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Hey Anthony, several things that worked for me over the years include;
  1)     Listening to my walkman, with music I liked and going to the bathroom 2 pilots ahead and just "CALMLY" visuallizing the flight.  All of it for that matter (humor:):)
  2)    Treating practice that same as a contest the first flight!  I used to go through a different routine while practicing and if I blew a maneuver, falling out of the sequence to redo it.  I found that this wasn't effective for contests so started to adopt a theory, the first flight of the day is a hands-down bonifide competition flight.  Start up, run up, procedure turn, etc straight into the pattern, calling the box out loud etc etc to simulate the stress of a competition flight.
  3)    This may be the most helpful.  Pick spots in your sequence to take a deep breath!!!  When I call for anyone (except FAI guys) I find a straight and level spot and tell the pilot take a deep breath.  The results are amazing, suddenly the pilot feels more relaxed then.  Sometimes we need to get our mind on something else just for a split second so we can excell at the rest.
  4)    Contests, contests, contests.  One year I actually flew in 16 Pattern and IMAC contests(wasn't married then but saw lots of country.)  The more you fly in front of judges the easier it gets.
  Hope this helps.
  Ed

Ed Miller <edbon85 at charter.net> wrote:
  Anthony;
In 2003 I moved from Advanced to Masters and flew 2 contests in Masters.
Then in '04 and '05 due to a move from NY to TN I flew only 40 flights total
in 2 years. So of course in '06 I decided to fly at the Nats in Masters
since I was so well prepared. Although I had always had a bit of the
"shakes", especially the first flight of a contest, it was really bad in '06
both while practicing and at the Nats. While practicing Sunday at site 1 in
Muncie Danny Landis was calling for me and asked if I was OK, I was shaking
so hard. What has worked for me is eliminating caffeine altogether, a side
benefit is I seem to sleep better. Also getting into the mindset that "it's
just another day at the field" has helped a lot. By the Gay Ga. contest in
October '06 my shakes had subsided and my scores moved up a bit. The
pressure of competition is felt by all, the trick is to do things to
minimize it. Dean Pappas also recommended and I agree is to eat normally at
a contest, don't try and fly hungry or on a stomach full of Little Debbie
goodies or doughnuts.
Ed M.