[NSRCA-discussion] Competition Nerves

Lisa & Larry lld613 at psci.net
Wed Feb 21 16:24:43 AKST 2007

I'm finding this thread very interesting.

I remember my first contest, my knees were knocking so bad I didn't know if
I could stand for the whole sequence.

I figured that if I flew far enough out the judges wouldn't see the wings
rock with every shake. Then Verne K. told me he couldn't see my plane so he
was going to start downgrading me until he could see it..LOL

I'm much better now.My knees don't knock as bad. I just have to worry about
the thumbs shaking the transmitter.

I don't try to memorize the sequence, just practice the maneuvers and the
timing and communication with Lisa calling. In building off one of the
threads, the calm flow of the process. I focus on one maneuver at a time
while working to improve airspace positioning. I let my caller (now wife)
keep track of where we are. I haven't missed a maneuver unless it was a dead
stick (which has been many). I have however, flown the wrong maneuver
followed by Lisa asking what was that, then the judges reply a Zero.LOL

As a reality check, you've seen me fly. I'm not a top of the pack guy and
continue to struggle in my class. Although competitive in nature, I try to
enjoy the event as a whole. For the most part, the contest is my practice
time and it shows. We will be working on it this year...

Looking forward to actually flying all the rounds in a contest instead of
having plane problems.Think we have it sorted out now.

Larry Diamond

  _____