[NSRCA-discussion] Competition Nerves

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 21 11:13:47 AKST 2007

Anthony, mental state is very important to performance. Neglecting it is
much like choosing to never practice in a cross wind.

Most of the knowledge on this is in the field of sports psychology. From
my research and experience, the optimal state is called flow and has
been somewhat characterized.

I wrote a paper on maximizing performance in a school exam. I chose that
subject because everything I learned applied to pattern flying, as well,
so it was interesting to me. The body of the paper is at
homepage.usask.ca/~ajg360/300body.doc and should be attached as well. It
might be helpful. I suggest reading the conclusion first, and ignoring
most of the stuff at the end, as I was just filling pages at that point.
Anxiety reaction and flow are the two useful parts.

One of the sources I found useful was an interview:
http://www.wie.org/j21/csiksz.asp

This book has a few good parts: Lavallee et al. Sport Psychology:
Contemporary Themes. New York: PALGRAVE MACMILLAN, 2004.

Here's the conclusion:
Eliminating the anxiety reaction is not the ideal adaptation,
surprisingly. By interviewing people who thrive on performance and tend
to excel, in activities ranging through painting, chess, rock climbing,
meditating, and basketball, Dr. Csikszentmihalyi was able to
characterize what was happening in the mind during rewarding, optimal
performance. He calls it flow, and it includes the feeling of effortless
participation, loss of sense of time, utter devotion to the task, and
constant challenge. Achieving it on a final exam requires you to be
“between anxiety […] and boredom” (Debold). Hopefully flow and Tiger
have convinced you that the anxiety reaction is vital to peak performance.
Your body will react to an imminent final exam by increasing heart pulse
rate, perspiration, and adrenaline, and there will be a distinct feeling
in your stomach. This response, left unaltered, will detract from your
final exam performance. I have recommended two ways to better deal with
your body’s anxiety response. The first is to sustain the mental image
of a fair, unsurprising, and honest final exam. The second is to change
your attitude towards the anxiety response; see it “as a form of
anticipatory excitement” (Lavallee et al 121).

-Adam Glatt