[NSRCA-discussion] Competition Nerves

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Wed Feb 21 10:39:52 AKST 2007

Anthony;
In 2003 I moved from Advanced to Masters and flew 2 contests in Masters.
Then in '04 and '05 due to a move from NY to TN I flew only 40 flights total
in 2 years.  So of course in '06 I decided to fly at the Nats in Masters
since I was so well prepared.  Although I had always had a bit of the
"shakes", especially the first flight of a contest, it was really bad in '06
both while practicing and at the Nats.  While practicing Sunday at site 1 in
Muncie Danny Landis was calling for me and asked if I was OK, I was shaking
so hard.  What has worked for me is eliminating caffeine altogether, a side
benefit is I seem to sleep better.  Also getting into the mindset that "it's
just another day at the field" has helped a lot.  By the Gay Ga. contest in
October '06 my shakes had subsided and my scores moved up a bit. The
pressure of competition is felt by all, the trick is to do things to
minimize it.  Dean Pappas also recommended and I agree is to eat normally at
a contest, don't try and fly hungry or on a stomach full of Little Debbie
goodies or doughnuts.
Ed M.