[NSRCA-discussion] Monokote on Monokote

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Sun Feb 18 11:04:34 AKST 2007

Can it be too cold to build???

Windex is definitely the best of those three.  I¹ve had very good results
with even semi large pieces (maybe 4² wide...anything wider and I¹ll
typically only do one layer).  Don¹t skimp on the windex.  Both layers of
monokote have to be clean...any dust will show up as a bump under the film.
I coat both the piece I¹m putting down, as well as the surface I¹m putting
it on, with a brush.  Spraying it doesn¹t get enough on (unless you go
crazy) and just creates a million air bubbles rather than a smooth film of
liquid.  I have it sloppy wet...then slide the pieces into position, and I
use a small 4² shower squeegee to squeeze the windex out.  You¹ll have zero
bubbles...and it will adhere from suction pretty aggressively.  Yes...you¹ll
have a wet mess so a few paper towels are in order.   Wait at least 24 hours
and then use an iron set just warm enough to anchor Monokote to Monokote
without any shrinking.

If you heat it too soon (same day) there¹s enough moisture still trapped
between the two layers that you¹ll vaporize it and cause a bazillion
bubbles.

-Mark