[NSRCA-discussion] Trailing Edge

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 14:05:06 AKST 2007

Nat, Dean,

It seems to me that for the kind of thing we are involved in, the boost in control performance is desired. Drag is not necessarily our enemy...in fact quite the contrary. We've been building fattened TEs on our models' control surfaces and have been deriving the benefits, perhaps unwittingly. It has been useful information and the benefits would appear to outweigh the penalty.

However, this may not hold true for other flight regimes. If one were to look at the wing TE of a 777 for example.....quite sharp. Ditto for fighters and racers. These are distinct and different regimes than our interest, with a totally different goal in mind....n'est-ce pas?

On the other hand, sailplanes would probably also benefit and here there appears to be a mixed bag of thicknesses.

I guess the point is "it depends"

Matt