[NSRCA-discussion] How to layout a pattern box?

Anthony Romano anthonyr105 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:39:22 AKST 2007

Another way uses three spikes ( I use old screw drivers) and a ball of
decent twine. Pick your pilot station draw a line in paint parralel to your
flightline. Tie a piece of twine about 10 yards long(length doesn't matter)
to two spikes. Tie a third spike in the middle so you have three spikes, two
ends and a middle, evenly spaced. Place the middle spike at the center point
of the line at the pilots feet. Walk the other two out perpendicular
(eyeball has proved good enough) and push in the spikes and paint right over
the string. You now have your pilot baseline and center.
Leave one end spike on the center line and swap the other end spike with the
center spike that was by the pilots feet. So now the two ends of your twine
are pinned to the center line and the center spike is in your hand. Walk to
one side until the strings are evenly snug and place the center spike in the
ground. Now paint this side and repeat in the opposite direction. You have
just made two equilateral triangles sharing the center line as a common
side.
Read this again before you tell me you are completely confused.
With two people this goes quick and the string makes a great guide for
painting straight lines. Which is something I always need help with.

Anthony